The Harvard Business School has been at the forefront of the efforts to modernize the costing systems in use since the past 30 years. Although the articles maybe old – the widespread prevalence of traditional volume based cost system designs and “Gross Margin” reporting and gross margins-based pricing indicates these articles remain as relevant today as they were when first published.
The Institute of Management Accountants (IMA Inc) also carries several thought leadership articles, research papers and studies which are at the very forefront of management accounting topics such as Costing systems design, Risk Management, Budgeting and Forecasting, Leveraging analytics for generating insight etc…
The website of Gary Cokins is a veritable treasure trove of articles, videos, books and other materials needed to get started, stay focussed and successfully complete your EPM journey.
You are encouraged to delve into the same:
- A Few Classics from HBR to get you started
- Raiding Gary Cokins’ treasure trove
- IMA Thought Leadership in Action
- Analytics, Analytics Based Decision Making, Analytics for Accountants etc
A Few Classics from HBR to get you started:
- Measure Costs Right, Make the Right Decisions
- Profit Priorities from Activity Based Costing
- You Need a New Costing System When…..
- Tapping the Full Potential of ABC
- The Promise-and Peril-of Integrated Cost Systems
- Time Driven Activity Based Costing
- Strategies for Staying Cost Competitive
- Balanced Scorecard : Measures that Drive Performance
- Putting the Balanced Scorecard to work
- Using the Balanced Scorecard as a Strategic Management System
Raiding Gary Cokins’ treasure trove:
- Performance Management: Integrating Strategy Execution, Methodologies, Risk, and Analytics 1st Edition
- EPM-CPM Implementation Tool Kits
- Downloadable Articles from www.garycokins.com
- Analytics Based Enterprise Performance Management
- Time-Driven or Driver-Rate-Based ABC ?
- Measuring and Managing Customer Profitability
- Why Is the Annual Budgeting Process Broken ?
- Repairing the Budgeting Process
- Cowboy Accountants – The Lawless Frontier
IMA Thought Leadership in Action:
- How to Master Digital Age Competencies
- Management Accounting Competencies: Fit for Purpose in a Digital Age?
- Managing Organizational Change in Operational Change Initiatives
- Behavioral Aspects of Cost Management
- Building a Team to capitalize on the promise of Big Data
- IMA Resources on Enterprise Risk Management
Analytics, Analytics Based Decision Making, Analytics for Accountants etc…
- Introduction to Data Analysis for Auditors and Accountants
- An Introduction to Data-Driven Decisions for Managers Who Don’t Like Math
- Competing on Analytics – By Tom Davenport
- Keeping Up with your Quants – by Tom Davenport
- Beyond the Hype – Big Data Concepts, Methods and Analytics A. Gandomi and M. Haider – International Journal of Information Management
- A Refresher on A/B Testing – HBR 2017
- A Refresher on Regression analysis – HBR Nov 2015
- Linear Thinking in a non-Linear world – HBR May-Jun 2017